Chunky Celery Soup (that doesn't have the yucky celery taste)


First off, my family hates celery. Cooked, raw, I get the rolled eyeballs or sometimes worse. I wanted to try this anyway because I like the smell of celery chopping and I really love finely diced celery in my tuna sandwich. The original recipe is here from 101 Cookbooks.

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
1 large sweet potato, diced
3-4 small - medium carrots, diced
10 stalks celery chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups of water
3  veggie bouillon  (or use 5 cups of broth)
2 cups cooked wild rice
celery/basil pesto (optional)

Chop all vegetables as evenly as possible. In a large soup pot, over medium high heat, water saute the vegetables. Saute until the onions and celery soften a touch and expel some water. Stir in the garlic and add the water and bouillon. Bring to a simmer and let cook for another 10 minutes until the celery, carrot and sweet potato are cooked through. Stir in the rice.

Make your favorite pesto but use half basil and half celery leaves.  I'm still working on my no oil, no parm pesto. I'll change the recipe when I get it down.

The best comment I got for this from boy 3 was "It doesn't taste like celery." He then ate 2 bowls.




Comments

Popular Posts