Instant Pot Japanese Curry Chicken


I sent boy 3 some microwave curry and microwave rice so I just had to try our recipe in the Instant Pot. I can make it faster on the stove but I like the texture of the veggies and the meat in the Instant Pot.

There are recipes online for making your own Japanese curry but curry blocks (roux) are so readily available in Hawaiʻi that it's not worth the extra effort. I like whatever is on sale and as spicy as I can get it. The original recipe is here

Ingredients:
1 large onion or 2 medium onions halved and sliced in about 5 sections
2-3 carrots peeled and cut into bite size ("rangiri") cuts
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (soak in water until ready)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. ginger, minced
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless thigh meat, cut into bite size pieces
Hawaiian salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste
1 T. vegetable oil
3 c. chicken stock
1 box curry (see picture above)
1 T. ketchup
1 T. shoyu
1 package softer Japanese mushrooms like shimeiji or enoki
Fukujinzuke (pickled red daikon)

Directions:
  1. Heat the pot on saute until it is hot and add the oil. I read somewhere that with aluminum pans, let the pot heat up first rather than put the oil in hot. I hope someone can tell me why that is. 
  2. Add the onion, minced garlic and ginger. Add the chicken to the pot and let it cook in the oil a little.
  3. Add the carrot and potato and mix well.
  4. Add the chicken broth, push the veggies and meat down and put the roux on top. 
  5. Switch from saute to meat/stew and set the timer for 15 minutes. Either do a quick release or let it vent naturally for about 10 minutes then release.
  6. Add ketchup, shoyu and mushrooms. Switch to saute and stir until the mushrooms are cooked. It will not take long. This also ensures that the roux is dissolved.


Notes: Fukujinzuke is a must, although I am sorry if you are not able to get fresh poke. Like all stews, the leftovers the next day are even better because it gets thicker and darker. I at first wanted to put 1 1/2 boxes because I used the maximum vegetables but I think the leftovers might be too thick so only do that if you know you will eat the whole pot. 

Here is my curry for breakfast shot:



Comments

Popular Posts