Instant Pot Okinawan Miso Shoyu Pork


This recipe is from Rick Agan. Another Aloha Instant Pot Community member on FB. The pork is super soft and although I had to manhandle the bone in pork butt with a dull knife (not a pretty picture), cutting it up helps to season all of the meat. I had a lot of meat (over 10 lbs. with the bone in) so I used the maximum amount of seasonings.

Total cooking time with the pot at max 1:40

Ingredients:

  • 8-10 lb. pork shoulder/butt, trim fat, 2" cubes
  • 1 c. shoyu
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 cup sugar (granulated)
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 2-3 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 4-5 slivers ginger
  • 3-4 tsp. mirin
  • 3-4 T. miso paste
Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients other than pork. Whisk miso to break it up.
  2. Set IP to saute and put sauce in to heat it up
  3. Put in cut up pork and dunk the pieces in the pot.
  4. Set IP on manual for 35 minutes. Natural release for 25 min.
  5. Serve over hot rice
Notes:
* After the natural release time, I still had to release steam. My pot was so full that I needed to put a dish towel over because some of the shoyu steam and oil was coming out of the vent.

• Some people put a little cornstarch and put the pot back on saute to thicken sauce, but I did not have the right knife to take off as much fat as I wanted to so I just served the meat, no sauce. It was not necessary.



Comments

Popular Posts