I had a HUGE mashed potatoes failure about ten years ago - so bad that we had no mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving one year, so when mashed potatoes were assigned this year, I got a little panicky.
Luckily, for my family, this less ambitious recipe got thumbs up, especially from boy 3.
- 3 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tsp. course sea salt, plus more for salting the water
- 3/4 - 1 cup heavy cream (just check texture)
- 4 T. butter
- black pepper
- 4-6 stalks green onion, including whites, finely chopped
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water seasoned with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan until hot, not scalding.
- Drain potatoes and with a potato masher, rough smash the potatoes while adding the hot liquid.
- Stir in half the green onions, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The rest of the green onions can go on top before serving.