Instant Pot Oxtail Soup


This is Rich Lum's recipe, but it is on a FB group, so I'm not sure if it will always be searchable. I changed up a few things and I am putting it here so I can find it again. The recipe has a lot of steps, and give yourself a good two hours of cooking time (not prep). However, the family loves this and it still is less time than strictly on the stove.

This soup is enough to feed 3 of us adults plus leftover for lunch. 

Ingredients:

Soup:
2 lbs. oxtail
6 cups chicken stock
2 whole star anise
10 thin slices of ginger
3 strips orange peel (I used dry and fresh - I prefer fresh, but just scoop it out at the end as it gets melty)
1/2 lb. raw peanuts, soaked in water a couple hours to overnight, then shelled
5 rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, sliced (save mushroom water to add to broth if needed)
Hawaiian salt to taste
Chinese mustard cabbage
2 -3 T whiskey (3T is about a jigger, so it's a little boozy, but we like our whiskey and always have different kinds of whiskey at the house, so feel free to just put 2 T)

Dipping sauce:
ginger, grated with juices
shoyu
cilantro
(mix together to create a dipping sauce)

Directions:

  1. Put oxtails in IP and cover with water. Make sure it is at least 2" over the largest oxtail. I used the pinky finger test because I know 2" on my finger. Close and seal the lid and put it on manual for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, shell the peanuts, put them in a large pot, cover with fresh water and about 1 T of Hawaiian salt and set to boil on the stove. I just like to add enough salt so the water tastes briny. Either leave it boiling until the oxtails are done or take it out earlier. Depends on how you like your boiled peanuts. I like it crunchy, not mushy so I tend to take the peanuts out earlier than the oxtail.
  3. When the oxtails are done, QR (quick release), remove the oxtail and wash the pot of the "scum" that accumulated. I also cut some of the gristle and any excess fat at this time. I save the gristle for bone broth.
  4. Return oxtails to the IP, add chicken stock and mushroom water if needed so that the stock is 2" above oxtail. Seal and put on manual for 5 minutes with a 10 minute NPR (natural pressure release)
  5. Add star anise, orange peel, ginger. Seal and put on manual for 5 minutes with QR. While this is cooking, I wash my mustard cabbage and separate the leafy part of the cabbage from the harder stalk. Chop up just the stalk of the mustard cabbage and slice the tops to add right before serving.
  6. Add peanuts and shiitake, seal, set to manual for 3 minutes QR.
  7. Add Hawaiian salt (just taste the broth),  chopped mustard cabbage stems and whiskey. Seal and set to manual for 2 minutes, NPR.
  8. The IP automatically goes to stay warm, so when you are ready to serve, the soup is still hot. Add the sliced leafy parts of the mustard cabbage, just give it a swirl and dish it up. 
  9. Serve with the dipping sauce and a chawan of rice on the side. 



Comments

  1. Mahalo for posting and sharing this recipe, this a winner.
    My elderly dad (late 80s) was recently in the hospital and while recuperating a home, he did not have any appetite for several days. Eventually I cooked up a batch of this Oxtail soup recipe, and surprisingly he got out of bed and ate a good-sized bowl with rice. This meal definitely kick-started his appetite.
    I will definitely make more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts