The miracle of an egg



Originally uploaded by cathy.ikeda
While on assignment in South Africa, I have down time until my colleague returns from Ohio, so I've been stuck in this bed and breakfast, thwarted by the crime outside the gated walls and the 30 degree weather. I spend my days reading, planning, and eating.

This morning I had a perfect egg, hard boiled, but not dry. Hot to the touch, fresh without the tell tale air pocket of an old egg. The shell flakes off in tiny, dainty shells like rain. The inside was moist and firm, served in a glass egg dish and a small silver spoon.

There's something about an egg that keeps me from looking into veganism as an option. I spent almost one year without bacon, but we lived on eggs. I was reminded of home today, although I've never made such an elegant egg.

Comments

Popular Posts