Book Review: Meatless All Day


Author: Dina Cheney

  • Paperback: 208 pages
  • Publisher: Taunton Press (March 2014)

About the book:

Meatless all day is a sumptuous book that looks at vegetarian and vegan meals not as quick and easy or even healthy, but as fine dining experiences using the freshest seasonal ingredients and worldly spices and herbs. 

I am used to vegan or vegetarian cookbooks that spend the introduction explaining and defining vegetarian and vegan food in order to highlight the oddity of this type of cooking, but I like that Cheney's book instead goes into some specific tips on cooking. I especially liked the section on tips for golden brown, crispy exteriors. With vegetarian and vegan food, sometimes focusing on textures makes it more palatable for non veg heads. Saw another tip from "The Kitchen" about salting home fried potatoes after and not before cooking for that golden brown color. 

Another plus for this book is that the pictures are fabulous. This is not a book to read when you're hungry or even right before dinner. This is a plan ahead for the week Sunday morning read.

I definitely loved the vegan dishes like the "tabbouleh with dates and pomegranate vinaigrette." The spices of cumin, coriander, sumac, cayenne created a vibrant palate of flavors. I lucked out that my health food store had sumac which I think makes a difference.

I also enjoyed going out of my usual comfort zone of Indian/Asian/Mediterranean flavors and made the Mexican chopped salad with cornbread croutons. I don't use lime zest enough and I need to start doing that. I didn't use the cheese cubes because I am more vegan than vegetarian, but I don't think it made a difference. 


What I want to try and I'm waiting for the right time is the Greek salad with roasted chickpeas and watermelon. Perhaps fourth of July. Also fall would be great for the veggie chili with butternut squash.

There are just so many intriguing recipes in here that it will take a year to try everything and with so many different ethnic flavors, going meatless all day will not be a boring journey.


Comments

Popular Posts