This sauce doesn't look like magic or anything, but this is the special red enchilada sauce. I will never buy canned enchilada sauce again.
I am sounding ignorant, I know, but did you know that enchilada sauce contains no tomatoes? I don't know why I thought that. Moving on.
- 2 T. canola oil
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 4 T. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- Combine the spices into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Get your whisk ready. Add flour and stir together for about a minute. Hold your breath and stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder to oregano). I did not hold my breath and the chili powder went up my nose. Gasp!
- Gradually add the stock and whisk constantly to remove lumps.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. It will thicken.
Use this immediately or put in a jar and refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks.
I used this with baked chicken enchiladas, but you could use reheat it and cook broccoli spears in the sauce to make a yummy broccoli enchilada.