From Scratch Red Enchilada Sauce


This sauce doesn't look like magic or anything, but this is the special red enchilada sauce. I will never buy canned enchilada sauce again.

I am sounding ignorant, I know, but did you know that enchilada sauce contains no tomatoes? I don't know why I thought that. Moving on.

Ingredients:
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 2 T. all-purpose flour
  • 4 T. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
Directions: 
  1. Combine the spices into a bowl and set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Get your whisk ready. Add flour and stir together for about a minute.  Hold your breath and stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder to oregano).  I did not hold my breath and the chili powder went up my nose. Gasp!
  3. Gradually add the stock and whisk constantly to remove lumps. 
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. It will thicken. 
Use this immediately or put in a jar and refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks.

I used this with baked chicken enchiladas, but  you could use reheat it and cook broccoli spears in the sauce to make a yummy broccoli enchilada.



Comments

Popular Posts