Sunny's Lomi Sardines
My sister Sunny is allergic to salmon and shrimp so my mom would always have to make one bowl of lomi sardines for Sunny. Lomi in Hawaiian just means to rub, mash, massage, mash fine, crush. It basically means to put everything in a bowl and massage it together . Sunny likes it spicy and I don't but I was going to eat her lomi sardines anyway so my mom would make two bowls. One spicy, and one not.
- 2 cans sardines (either the one in olive oil or if you want it spicy, the one with jalapeno pepper)
- 2 or more tomatoes, diced
- 1 round onion, diced
- green onion to taste
- inamona to taste
- Hawaiian salt to taste
- some kind of vinaigrette (whatever is on sale: Italian, zesty Italian, balsamic. . .)
- Optional - squeeze of lemon or lime
- Drain the oil from the sardines, take out the bone and break it apart a little
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough dressing to taste
- Cover and put it in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before eating.
So if you want to take the skin off the tomato first, by all means, #cookwithlove