Keeper Recipe: Hanabata Days Almond Float
When the days get hot, this is the best dessert and it's as cheap as two cans of fruits. The most expensive ingredient is almond extract. This is is a good recipe to teach the grandkids (hint, hint).
- 1 2/3 c. boiling water
- 2 envelopes (1/4 oz each) plain Knox gelatin (we live in Hilo where it is very humid, so make sure it's fresh)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 c cold whole milk (or almond vanilla milk)
- 2 favorite cans of mixed fruits like fruit cocktail and mandarin oranges, lychees, mangoes, whatever you like
- Pour boiling water into a bowl and whisk in the gelatin to fully dissolve. Add sugar and gently whisk to dissolve. Add almond extract and whisk. Add milk and whisk.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 or similar sized dish. Chill 2-3 hours or longer
- When completely set, cut into squares and serve with your fruit.