ʻUala Pancakes

 


I am creating my own summer vacation because I am teaching online, so I went home to Hilo for a "staycation." I tend to work all the time, so to make it more vacation like, I decided I would try something every day until I go back to Oahu. 

I am only posting keepers so this recipe for ʻuala, or sweet potato, poi pancakes came about because I found a container of this in the refrigerator. Our old refrigerator tends to freeze things so it was nicely frozen and although almost 3 weeks old, still good. If you do not have this in your market, I will post the Okinawan sweet potato baby food recipe which is the same thing as this poi (ingredients: Okinawan sweet potato + filtered water)

What we like: the texture is good. It is not too sweet, and rather than fluffy and airy, the texture of these pancakes is more mochi like. If I had apple bananas, I would serve it with that and a sprinkling of roasted mac nuts and whipped cream. 

The original recipe is from HI Cookery (also adapted) and it uses taro poi. In addition, she gives you directions for making poi

Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 1 c coconut milk
  • 1 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. ʻuala poi
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in milk in the microwave just to soften butter (about 30 seconds). In a separate bowl whisk eggs together, and when milk cools a bit, add eggs and whisk. 
  2. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt)
  3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until everything is incorporated and smooth, then add the poi and mix through.
  4. Cook pancakes on a griddle or pan.


Comments

Popular Posts