Instant Pot Chili w Chili Packet

 


The story

My husband makes fabulous chili out of assorted meats, hand cut to different consistencies. He mixes his own spices and serves it during the Super Bowl party. I am not that kind of cook. I recently moved into a friend's family home on Oahu while I am at work . His aunt was put into a nursing home so I am taking care of the house. It is a beautiful house with a beautiful kitchen, but the only thing that really works is the microwave  and the clock on the stove. There is a fancy no knob range, a convection oven and a microwave all in the wall, but none of it works because the aunts have not been cooking for many years. 

Not a problem. There is an island, a nice deep sink and a full refrigerator with ice and water. That is a blessing. I brought my own tools: my rice cooker, my VitaMix and my Instant Pot. My husband bought a two burner hot plate and a toaster oven that acts as a regular oven and an air fryer. 

This chili is usually made in my heavy cast iron dutch oven, but the hot plate cannot handle the weight of the pot so here is the Instant Pot version. It has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with equipment, however, the chili was started after the rice and my chili still had to wait until my rice was done. 

The Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. ground hamburger
  • 1 cup beef broth (I always use hot water and a tsp of Better than Bouillon paste for every cup of water)
  • 1 package chili seasoning
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • half an onion, chopped (if I am feeding my husband I take the rest of the onion and dice it fine for topping)
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1/2 red or orange bell pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 1 can mushrooms, sliced (optional)
  • Optional toppings:
    • cheese
    • mayonnaise
    • sour cream
    • raw onion

The Instructions:

  1. With the Instant Pot, it is best to have everything ready ahead of time, so cut the onion, garlic, pepper if using. Using the 1 c of broth, mix and stir in the chili packet seasoning to the liquid to create a "gravy." 
  2. Turn IP on to sauté. When the pot is hot, add a little oil and fry the onions, garlic and hamburger with a wooden spoon. Cook the hamburger and feel free to add salt at this point. 
  3. Turn the IP off and add the rest of the ingredients, starting with kidney beans, diced tomatoes, corn and other vegetables if using. Pour the seasoned broth over and seal IP.
  4. Cook on Stew/Meat for 10 minutes and quick release when the buzzer goes off. Make sure that the steam valve is closed before you start cooking. 
  5. Done. Season if necessary. I have found that the beef broth and packet are enough salt. 


Comments

Popular Posts