Spinach Shrimp Pasta with Lemon Garlic Parmesan
Now that I work in Honolulu, including during the summer, I just don't get back to Hilo for long periods of time so when I am home, I try to cook out of the freezer and pantry in order to control the hoarding tendencies of Big Spazz. This recipe used the shrimp from a larger bag that was already open in the freezer. I also used half a box of fettuccine from the pantry, a box of chopped spinach from the freezer, red pepper from the pizza on Sunday and garlic that I was going to roast. The only thing I did not have was lemon and fresh parsley.
· 8 oz. long pasta (linguine, spaghetti, fettuccine)
· 2 T. olive oil
· 6 T. butter
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
· 1 1/4 lb. large shrimp, tail off, deveined
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
· 1 10 oz box frozen chopped spinach (drained and squeezed) or 4 cups baby spinach
· 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
· 2 T parsley, chopped
· 1 T lemon juice and zest
1. Cook pasta in boiling water and drain (save a little bit of pasta water)
2. Heat olive oil and 3 T butter. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp starts to turn pink. Add the Italian seasoning and spinach and cook until wilted or warm.
4. Add the pasta back to the pot with the remaining butter, parmesan and parsley. If the pasta is not cooperating, add a little pasta water. Cook until the butter is melted through.
5. Add the lemon juice and zest before serving.