Non-Oil Vegan Caesar


Like all my pictures, this is a horrible picture, but the dressing is nice and sour and salty and creamy. Also, no oil. My daughter in law says it is just as good as my Kurosawa Kick Ass dressing but here is really why I like this one:  it makes enough for one sitting or one head of romaine.

The problem with the Kurosawa is that it makes too much if salad is not the go to for every meal. Plus the longer it is stored in the refrigerator, the thicker it gets. This is just grab whisk, smash capers between your fingers, massage in.

This is from the beautiful site Minimalist Baker which has beautiful pictures and nice clean font. I, on the other hand am using this blog as an online index card of recipes for my family that are "keepers."

5-Minute Vegan Caesar Dressing
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. plain hummus
  • 1 tsp. spicy mustard (I am not sure what they used, but the spicy brown from my local store is not what I wanted. Next time I will use the spicy dijon and if I like it, I will change it here.)
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 2-3 T. lemon juice, to taste (I like 3 plus more on the leaves)
  • 2 tsp. capers, smashed, plust 3 tsp. brining juice
  • 3 T. fresh minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
  • Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Add everything in a bowl and whisk. 
  2. The site says optional additions of olive oil (1-2 T.) or maple syrup (1-2 tsp) but I didn't
  3. The site also says to add a little hot water to thin until pourable but I left it chunky and goopy and just massaged it in. 
  4. We used this on romaine but it is also good for kale, arugula (I would thin it for arugula), roasted vegetables like Brussels sprouts and potatoes. 
  5. I added shaved parmesan to the salad because we are not THAT vegan. 



Comments

Popular Posts