Quick cucumber Japanese


This is a quick recipe that uses things in our Japanese pantry (dashi, salt, dashi kombu).  After finding two mushy cucumbers in the refrigerator, this is a good reminder to make pickles when we buy the cucumbers so we "stop wasting food."


  • 1-2 Japanse cucumbers
  • 1/2 tsp. dashi
  • 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
  • 1" square kombu cut into ribbons
If using Japanese cucumbers, I did not take seeds out. I also had about 1/3 of an English cucumber that I de-seeded. Chop in wedges ( I cut it the same way I cut my Japanese curry vegetables - on diagonal, turn the vegetable about 45°, cut on diagonal)

Add dashi and salt. Wipe kombu with a damp paper towel just to get the dust off. Cut in ribbons with a kitchen shears. Lomi (mix the cucumbers) either in a bowl or in a quart size plastic Ziploc. Weigh it down and put in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours. I left the bag in a bowl and weighed it down with another bowl overnight. This morning, the cucumbers are still crunchy and refreshing. 




Comments

Popular Posts