Savory Instant Pot Mushroom Cheesy Coach's Oats



I know my pics are gross, but this was really good. I stopped eating oatmeal because it was becoming dessert for breakfast, which I really need to stop doing. Instead, I wanted to try a more savory breakfast with my Coach's Oats and I wanted to use my Instant Pot so that I can make enough to cook ahead.

Boy 3 says that this tastes like mushroom risotto and I agree that the oats have a nice creaminess to them. This one was done in the crock pot electric pressure cooker rather than our Instant Pot (the pot is non-stick versus the aluminum pot in the Instant Pot brand.

Ingredients:

1 cup Coach's Oats
3 cups veggie broth (Better Than Bouillon)
2 T nutritional yeast
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
4 c baby spinach, washed, drained and chopped (optional)

Directions:

 Put all ingredients but the spinach in the Instant Pot. Cook on porridge or manual for 5 minutes, QR.

If using the spinach, when the oatmeal is done, add in the spinach and let it cook a little. Put the extra in individual serving containers and refrigerate for later reheating.

I often use Sunday mornings to cook ahead, so this recipe will make 4-5 days worth of breakfasts.**

Update:

1. No matter what I do to the inner pot of the IP, the oatmeal will burn a little on the bottom, however, a wooden spoon (it must be wood, not silicone) scraped on the bottom of the pot after cooking, will lift it up.
2. I had some frozen pea puree (sweet peas steamed in water, pureed in a Vitamix) that I originally made for my granddaughter as she was just trying "solids" at 5 months. She absolutely hated it! I added about 4 cubes (3T each) to the oatmeal mix before cooking and it came out fine. It did not change the taste, but it added more veggies when I did not have fresh spinach. 
3. Now that I add both canned, drained sliced mushrooms and the pea puree regularly, I upped the Old Bay to 1 tsp.

**I say breakfast, but it tastes more like risotto so I have also added roasted veggies and had this for lunch or dinner instead.



Comments

Popular Posts