Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff (ish)

 

Review: 

it probably does not have enough taste for @Big Spazz because I did not have flour or sour cream, but the fresh mushrooms in this gave it a warm, meaty flavor and the little bit of shoyu I put in at the end makes it deeper than the individual ingredients would suggest. 

Method:

Instant Pot - sauté time about 5 minutes, cook time 3 minutes, QR then keep warm in order to add in the "cream"

Ingredients:

  • 3 T olive oil (this seems like a lot for me because I don't use oil, but the mushrooms needed it)
  • 1/2 an onion diced (I had a half a red onion in the refrigerator from making canned corn salsa so I used that)
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (I used button mushrooms, but I am sure the more expensive stuff would taste even better)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • pepper
  • 1/4 c. sake (probably should traditionally use white wine, I just have sake and I do not have wine - but if you do not want to use any alcohol, use a little more broth)
  • 2 cups veggie broth (have I said I love the Better Than Bouillon Veg brand paste to make broth? I will say it again and hope I do not outlive this company)
  • 1-2 T whole grain mustard (I did not have it - I had barely 1T of yellow mustard)
  • 1 T flour (again, did not have it)
  • 8 oz pasta (I had shells, but penne would also be fine - something a little thicker with a bit of chew that will hold up in the IP)
Add after QR:
  • 1/2 c sour cream or cashew cream if full on vegan and not vegan-ish (Again, no sour cream, but I did substitute 1/2 c. of my vegan tofu herb cream cheese)

Directions:

  1. Turn IP on sauté and heat oil. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir until the mushrooms start releasing its water and the onions soften (about 5 minutes)
  2. Add the sake, broth, flour and mustard. Turn off sauté, add the pasta and stir to get the pasta in the broth. Cover and seal IP, and set it on Manual for 3 minutes. When the IP beeps that it is done, do a QR (quick release) and open the pot.
  3. Add in the sour cream with the warm button still on. Since I took my tofu cream cheese out of the refrigerator, I actually put the sauté back on once I incorporated it so the broth would heat a little. The longer it sits, the thicker it gets.



Comments

Popular Posts