Vegan Tofu Herb Cream Cheese


On our trip to Portland last week, we stayed at an AirBnB near Mt. Tabor and the hostess left breakfast for us. It was always organic, vegan, and very tasty. I especially loved the crispbread with the "tofu salad." The tofu salad was just mashed tofu with some dill, lemon, nutritional yeast. 

I tracked down the crispbread at Trader Joe's but I was too embarrassed to ask for the recipe so I just used the same ingredients and tried to duplicate the taste. I also decided to put the tofu in my Vitamix,  although I probably could have hand mashed it. The hand mashing technique kept falling off my bread so I wanted to make a spread.

Vegan Cream Cheese

Ingredients:

  • 1 block extra firm tofu (I used the 14 oz rather than the larger tub)
  • 5 T lemon juice (1 large lemon)
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp dried dill
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 tsp dried basil

Directions:

  1. Put everything in order in the Vitamix except the 3 herbs. Blend until smooth.
  2. Scrape everything out of the blender into a medium bowl, add the herbs and mix in.
  3. Refrigerate for about half an hour before using. It will help to set it. 
Note: I just go by the smell test but this will last about a week in the refrigerator. This would also be good as a base for fresh tomatoes with a little balsamic and basil or a mayo alternative in a sandwich. 

Comments

Popular Posts