Keeper Project: Slow Cooker Corned Beef Dinner

I want to do this in my Instant Pot, but the purpose of the Keeper Project is so you boys have access to the recipes when we are gone. Feel free to tweak. We do all the time. But the base is here.

Anyway, maybe I will put up an IP recipe, but my corned beef is too big at 4lbs. - barely enough for Sunday dinner, so I am going old school with the slow cooker. Plus, you folks own slow cookers. I tend to cook with two slow cookers, but I only have one IP (for now).

(Just remember I am not a professional blogger, photographer or food stylist, ok? The white stuff is the horseradish cream sauce) It was good. I needed to make 2 briskets though. 4 lbs. is not enough meat for Sunday dinner.

If you want it on the sweeter side, here is another version and you slather brown sugar and mustard ahead of time.
This one is more traditional. I never add celery because you folks do not eat celery, but I did because I had.

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 lb. brisket, pre-brined, pre-seasoned with seasoning packet
  • 2 medium onions, cut in quarters
  • 4-5 carrots, peeled and cut in quarters
  • 2 large, 4 medium or 6-10 small potatoes, peeled, cut about 2" chunks
  • beef broth, chicken broth, water, one can beer plus water
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar (if not using beer)
  • 1 small head cabbage, cored, quartered
  • butter or salt to taste
For horseradish cream (not too spicy):
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
  • 2 T ground mustard
Directions:
  1. Layer potatoes on bottom and place brisket, fat side up in the slow cooker. Wedge the onions and carrots around the brisket.
  2. Pour in enough liquid of your choice to just cover or barely cover the brisket. Sprinkle seasoning packet.
  3. Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours, keeping track that you will add the cabbage with one hour to go.
  4. At the 7 hour mark, add the cabbage. I never can fit the cabbage so I take out the vegetables and then wedge the cabbage in.
  5. Continue cooking for one hour.  Meanwhile, cook rice and mix horseradish cream.
  6. Let the brisket rest then slice across the grain. 
  7. Serve with assorted mustards, ketchup and horseradish cream.

Comments

Popular Posts