Scaled Down Scampi

Weight Watchers will probably come down on me for printing this, but I'm saying now that this is a WW recipe with modifications for my family who is not on WW.
Shrimp Scampi (8 points)

2 tsp. olive oil (it needs to be the good stuff - extra virgin, no light)
4 medium garlic cloves, minced (I'm lazy, I buy the big minced garlic bottle from Costco)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 lb. shrimp, medium, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup wine, dry white or vermouth
2 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/8 tsp. table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
8 oz uncooked linguini, cooked and kept hot (I usually use whole wheat, and pasta doesn't come in 8 oz sizes. I double the recipe so I don't have half packages of pasta all over the place)
1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped (I used Italian basil instead because that's what I have growing on our little deck)

Heat oil in skillet; add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add oregano and stir to coat. Add shrimp and saute until bright pink, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer about 1 minute.

Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth in a small cup and whisk until blended; add mixture to skillet and simmer 2 minutes, until sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (To punch it up more, I also added capers and tossed it around instead of the salt.)

Sprinkle with basil. Each serving yields about 1-1/3 cups of pasta, 1/4 cup of sauce and 3 ounces of shrimp per serving.

Good grinding.

Comments

Popular Posts