Scones Attempt #3: Chocolate Chunk Lazy Girl Scones

I love scones - not too crumbly, slightly dry, perfect with morning coffee and one of the things I'll carry with me on the plane with my cafe misto. Still, I don't like paying $2.25 for a scone, so I've been trying to make scones without actually going out to buy special supplies.

This is attempt number 3: chocolate chunk scones using things I already have in the kitchen. Living cheap is about knowing what staples you need for the kind of cook you are, buying them on sale, or always knowing where the cheapest place in town is to get them. 
 Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. (I love parchment paper. It's an indulgence, but it bakes the bottoms more evenly than if you don't use parchment)

Mix:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (for some reason, I only have sea salt, so I just grind it up a little)
Cut into the dough:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cold, cut into pieces
(I don't have a pastry blender, and the two knives method is irritating because I don't like the sound of metal on metal, so I cut pieces of butter into the dry ingredients, then go with my hand to push the flour mixture and butter pieces together until it's crumbly.

Add:
1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I only had chocolate chunks)
1/2 cup dried cranberries, craisins, figs, stuff like that (I didn't have craisins, so I doubled up on chocolate chips)

Mix in wet ingredients:
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk

Mix, but don't overmix. Only mix until the dough comes together. If it's too dry, add more buttermilk, too wet, more flour.

Lazy girl style is to make like the scones are drop biscuits so that you don't actually have to knead the dough, make a round and cut the scones into wedges.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until it's golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean. The original recipe says it makes 8 scones, but drop biscuit style made me 11 scones.

I served this with some cut oranges, and if I were to do it again, I would have added the orange zest for my fruit element, but still double up on the chocolate chunks.

-------------------
The only unusual pantry item that I used was the buttermilk, but that's because I tried to make scones two times before and the Safeway brand buttermilk only came in the large size, so I also used the buttermilk for making fried chicken, and I've been using it in my coffee (can't waste).

I'm posting scone attempt #1 because besides my blueberries bleeding, they look ok, but I put the same amount of baking powder as baking soda - ugh. Failure.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts