Hawaiian Spirulina Smoothie

As we are in our 40th something day of quarantine and shutdown based on Covid-19, I notice that many people are baking, #quarantinecooking, and creating comfort food. I think for the first 14 days, I just went crazy cooking, even if it was not the most healthy thing. Then by day 20, the thinking about exercising kicked in; by day 30 - the daily youtube exercise videos started and we started ordering vegetable boxes that upped our fresh veggie intake. I also started recording my water to shame myself into drinking at least 2 glasses a day.

For Sunday dinner, my brother brought this spirulina powder that is supposed to do really great things like lower blood pressure, support the immune system and strengthen cardiovascular health. It is farmed in Kona, Hawaii and is sold as a supergreen, so I wanted to add this in to my day 40.

The directions say that you can just mix with water. That is NEVER going to happen. I do not like water, but even worse is adding things to my water. This is my green smoothie go to and if I had kale or spinach I would add it, but I didn't and one scoop has a lot of "greens," so I went without.

Ingredients:

1 frozen apple banana
1/2 c assorted frozen or fresh fruit
8 oz rice milk or alternative dairy drink, juice, water (add more liquid if the powder needs to blend in more)
1 scoop vanilla Hawaiian spirulina
1 T almond butter or peanut butter



Comments

Popular Posts