One-bowl citrus infused poundcake


When I went to my local Safeway store to buy buttermilk the other week, they only sell one brand of buttermilk in one size of carton so I wanted to use up my buttermilk. I had everything else except one citrus for rind. Big Spazz bought multiple lemons (2) so I will make sure to zest the other one for the freezer and juice and freeze what I am not using so I do not run into this again.

The problem of course was that my buttermilk was mucus lumpy and the viscosity - yuck! The only thing I had left that was useable was sour cream, but it came out really good. What we liked the most was that the cornmeal makes the crust crusty but the inside is soft. There is a hint of sweetness and not an overwhelming butter taste of regular poundcakes.

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350ยบ F. Grease and flour a bread loaf pan or grease and line with parchment (my choice because I am a lazy dishwasher)
  2. In a large bowl, add in a cup of sugar and the zest of any citrus (orange, lime, lemon) - mix zest in with sugar.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl until everything is incorporated
    • 1/2 c liquid fat (olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, melted butter) - I used olive oil 
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/2 c plain yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream or even milk with a couple teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar (I used sour cream from the make it work taco slaw)
    • dash vanilla or almond extract (one of our kids brought some Trader Joe bourbon vanilla extract so I used that)
    • 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg (optional) - I did not have any leftover from Thanksgiving, which is the only time I use that - it was fine
  4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the bowl in order :
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 c cornmeal
  5. Once the batter is smooth, whisk in 1 1/4c flour
  6. Scrape batter into prepared pan, bake for about 45 min - 1 hr. (my oven took 50 min). Cool a little then cut and butter.

Ingredients:

sugar
zest
liquid fat
eggs
yogurt, buttermilk or sour cream
vanilla or almond extract
grated nutmeg (opt)
salt, baking soda, baking powder
cornmeal
flour

Comments

Popular Posts