Pantry Scones

I miss coffee, and if I miss coffee, then I miss scones. It's one of those if you give a mouse a cookie scenarios.

If you give me a cup of coffee, then I will want some cream. 

If I get cream with my coffee, then I will want a scone.

But scones are full of processed sugar, so if you give me sugar, I will want  a taro malasada, 
and on, and on, and on. 

I adapted this scone from Peas and Thank You

Basically, this cookbook is vegan, but not sugar free, so this is the glaze free, sugar free version. I also couldn't afford the fresh blueberries this calls for, so it's the whatever is in the pantry (not panty) version.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

1/2 c. non-dairy milk
1/4 c. vegan cream cheese (Tofutti brand)
1 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. baking soda

In a small bowl. blend milk, cream cheese, lemon juice, baking soda, and set aside and watch the magic bubbles appear.
1/2 cup dates chopped fine or put into a bullet (I used about 6 pitted medjool dates)

I didn't opt for date paste because I didn't want to figure out the water or liquid adjustments. Scones dough should be fairly dry, just moist enough to form into a round or square, but not so moist that your hands are wet.

In a food processor, blend dates with
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt (optional)

Put the dough in a bowl (it should still be loose, don't panic or add soymilk)

Add 1/2 c. vegan margarine and lomi the margarine through the dough. I'm trying to figure out a good texture binder that can replace the margarine. Let me know if you find something.

Add 1 cup of dried fruits to the dough and lomi again (I used 1/2 a cup of craisin blueberries and 1/2 a cup of dried cherries)

On a cutting board, pat out the dough into a 1" thick round or rectangle. Cut into wedges and place on a parchment covered or oiled baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom.
I like the parchment paper on the bottom because it gives the bottom of the scone a nice, brown, crunchiness.


I used some vegan cream cheese on top with some leftover strawberries from yesterday's french toast.
The leftovers freeze well, or bring them to work and share.


Comments

Popular Posts